DIPLOMA IN BUSINESS MANAGEMENT (MARKETING) - 3 YEARS
The 3-year Diploma in Business Management (Marketing) (HEQSF-Level 6) is designed to provide quality education in marketing at an undergraduate level. Areas covered include: the marketing concept, target markets, marketing techniques, consumer behaviour, market segmentation, branding products and services, designing, managing services, managing the value chain, and the role communication plays in marketing.
The purpose of the Business Management Diploma in Marketing programme is:
- Enable an understanding of the general philosophy of marketing and the marketing concept.
- Provide the skills required to identify consumer needs and promote products and services that would satisfy those needs.
- Equip the students with the necessary skills for choosing target markets and delivering products or services at a profit.
- Develop a knowledge of the dynamic nature of consumer motivation, and how culture influences purchasing and consumption patterns.
- Acquire the skills needed to apply qualitative and quantitative consumer research methods.
- A combination of these skills with values such as honesty, integrity, and dedication to serve provide a well-rounded education for graduates.
DEPARTMENTAL MISSION STATEMENT
The marketing diploma falls under the Department of Management. The mission of the Department is to develop highly effective, competent and capable graduates who are equipped with business management knowledge, skills and values who will contribute to the free enterprise system within the framework of moral and ethical guidelines.
Upon successful completion of the Marketing diploma programme graduates can expect the following:
- Demonstrate the necessary skills required to identify consumer needs and promote products and services that would satisfy those needs.
- Acquire appropriately knowledge to attend to customer needs and problems relating to the role of marketing communication, including promotion of image, providing information creating, and increasing and stabilising product brands.
- Understand the general philosophy of marketing and the marketing concept.
- Acquire the necessary skills for choosing target markets and delivering products or services at a profit.
- Obtain knowledge of the dynamic nature of consumer motivation, and how culture influences purchasing and consumption patterns.
- Demonstrate a combination of skills with values such as honesty, integrity, and dedication.
The Marketing diploma programme is structured to provide opportunities for successful graduates to develop the following knowledge, skills, competencies, attitudes and values as part of their learning and growth while at Helderberg College:
- Acquire subject knowledge at NQF Level 6 in the areas of public relations, sales management, retails management, promotional strategies, advertising, and consumer behaviour and business ethics;
- A commitment to continuous learning and sharing of knowledge, and the capacity to maintain intellectual curiosity;
- Develop skills in understanding self, and interacting with people;
- The ability to plan in advance and think strategically and independently;
- Gain a talent for clear expression, both oral and written;
- Develop practical skills in forming good office etiquette and good work habits which include team work and presentation skills;
- Develop expertise in the ability to communicate information, via diverse media, to general audiences;
- A commitment to the highest standards of endeavour and the ability to take on leadership roles;
- An awareness of pertinent ethical, social and cultural issues and their importance in the exercise of professional skills and responsibilities;
- Empowered to develop a spirit of service and commitment with integrity in their profession, and enriched to contribute to society with good citizenship.
This qualification enables graduates to pursue a bachelor degree in Marketing and related areas.
Apart from running their own enterprise, successful graduates may be employed as sales representative, junior sales or product manager, public relations officer, or in other sectors of the retail industry.
- Complete and pass all the required modules of the programme as outlined in the Prospectus with a minimum grade of 50%, except for all Accounting modules which require a minimum grade of 55%.
- Submission of Work Integrated Learning (WIL) portfolio of evidence by the end of the Midterm Break of the final semester.
- Comply with the requirements as contained in the Helderberg College Student Code of Conduct.
For further information, please download our Prospectus and look on pages 109 to 111.