DIPLOMA IN BUSINESS MANAGEMENT (ACCOUNTING) – 3 Years NQF Level 6
The programme focuses on accounting and related subjects. It aims to equip students with both theoretical and practical accounting knowledge, along with the skills required to meet the middle management needs of employing organisations. The programme design is focused on a vocational orientation. Graduates would have acquired a basic understanding of investment appraisal techniques, sources of finance, tax and auditing fundamentals, and a broad understanding of financial accounting. In addition, they would have acquired the practical skills which would enable them to process accounting transactions and draft financial statements both manually and using computerized systems in a non-profit organization, small or medium enterprise, and large corporations.
DEPARTMENTAL MISSION STATEMENT
The mission of the Accounting Department is to produce professionally competent Accounting graduates who are equipped with academic, professional standards and ethical values. The programme prepares the students for the practice of accounting with the knowledge and skills needed to remain effective in a global world that is characterized by rapid change and technological advancement.
Demonstrate the ability to process accounting transactions and draft financial statements using a computerized information system.
Demonstrate the ability to calculate individual tax liability in compliance with tax law.
Obtain a basic understanding of the fundamentals of auditing.
Gain an understanding of costing and management accounting.
Acquire a basic understanding of investment appraisal techniques and sources of finance.
Demonstrate an appreciation of good principles of management.
Obtain a broad understanding of financial accounting and business related areas, with a practical focus on values such as integrity, competence and dedication to service.
- Acquire subject knowledge at NQF Level 6 in the areas of financial accounting, economics, Pastel, taxation, company law, cost and management accounting, auditing, principles of finance and business ethics.
- A commitment to continuous learning and sharing of knowledge, and the capacity to maintain intellectual curiosity.
- Develop expertise in numeracy, quantitative literacy, computer literacy and technical ability.
- The ability to plan in advance and think strategically and independently.
- Gain a talent for clear expression, both oral and written.
- Develop practical skills in forming good office etiquette and good work habits which include team work and presentation skills.
- Develop the ability to recognize problem situations and offer an appropriate approach to problem-solving.
- The facility to deal with different cultural practices.
- A commitment to the highest standards of endeavour and the ability to take on leadership roles.
- An awareness of pertinent ethical, social and cultural issues and their importance in the exercise of professional skills and responsibilities.
- Empowered to develop a spirit of service and commitment with integrity in their profession, and enriched to contribute to society with good citizenship.
The diploma forms the basis from which a bachelor’s degree in accounting and other related areas may be pursued.
This qualification may lead to employment as an assistant accountant, assistant internal auditor, account manager, assistant finance officer or accountant among others
More information can be found in our Prospectus, on pages 140 to 144.