DIPLOMA IN BUSINESS MANAGEMENT (MANAGEMENT) – 3 Years NQF Level 6
The purpose of the programme is to equip graduates with background knowledge of the business environment and free enterprise system within the framework of moral and ethical guidelines. The focus of the programme is on acquiring skills which will facilitate interaction with people, ability to plan in advance and think strategically and to communicate information effectively, both orally and in written form. In addition, they will have acquired skills for clerical level managerial jobs in business organizations. In the programme students would acquire knowledge in the following areas which would provide them with sufficient knowledge and theory in business, to articulate into a degree in the business field. The areas are: business accounting, managing stress, insurance and risk management, business communication, performance management, retail management, small business management, industrial relations, supply and purchase management and business ethics. The programme also makes provision for a work-based learning component which provides the student with exposure to practical business situations and gives them ‘hands-on’ experience. Furthermore, it equips the student with an opportunity to apply theoretical knowledge to real work situations. In this context they are to be cognisant of the pertinent ethical, social and cultural issues and their importance in the exercise of professional skills and responsibilities.
DEPARTMENTAL MISSION STATEMENT
The mission of the Department of Management is to develop highly effective, competent and capable graduates who are equipped with business management knowledge, skills and values and who will contribute to the free enterprise system within the framework of moral and ethical guidelines.
- Demonstrate a broad background knowledge of the free enterprise system within the framework of moral and ethical guidelines.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the business environment.
- Acquire appropriate academic education and business skills required for junior level managerial jobs in business organization.
- Obtain the necessary academic background for entrance into a degree programme.
- Demonstrate a combination of skills with values such as honesty, integrity, and dedication.
- Acquire subject knowledge at NQF Level 6 in the areas of business accounting, managing stress, insurance and risk management, business communication, performance management, retail management, small business management, industrial relations, supply and purchase management and business ethics.
- A commitment to continuous learning and sharing of knowledge, and the capacity to maintain intellectual curiosity
- Develop skills in understanding self, and interacting with people;
- The ability to plan in advance and think strategically and independently;
- A talent for clear expression, both oral and written.
- Develop practical skills in forming good office etiquette and good work habits which include team work and presentation skills.
- Develop job specific skills such as the ability to communicate information, via diverse media, to general audiences.
- A commitment to the highest standards of endeavour and the ability to take on leadership roles.
- An awareness of pertinent ethical, social and cultural issues and their importance in the exercise of professional skills and responsibilities.
- Empowered to develop a spirit of service and commitment with integrity in their profession, and enriched to contribute to society with good citizenship.
This qualification enables successful learners to pursue a bachelor’s degree in Management and other related fields.
Apart from running their own enterprise, successful graduates may be employed as Junior Management in business organizations with the potential to rise through the middle level management according to individual capability. They could also work as trainee supervisors in business organizations.For further information, please download our Prospectus and look on pages 145 to 149.