Committed to Excellence
The music department welcomes all who wish to learn, irrespective of their age or previous musical background.Most of our music students are drawn from the College and the Schools on Campus (Helderberg Primary & Helderberg High School), but some learners from other schools in the area also prefer to choose our music department. Many individuals from the Helderberg Basin, as well as individuals from Stellenbosch, Durbanville and even Goodwood have supported the music department, either through music lessons or as choir members.
We assist students in identifying their goals on an individual basis and help them to achieve these goals, whether that be learning to play for leisure only, or for passing structured examinations (Unisa,Trinity College or Royal Schools of Music).The music department, through a system of instrument hire, assists students to have the opportunity to start learning without an excessive initial outlay.
The music department of Helderberg College offers:
- Theory of music
- Violin, cello
- Trumpet, French horn, Trombone
- Clarinet & Saxophone
- Assistance with music as a school subject (Unisa, Royal Schools of Music)
- Assistance with sight reading, sight singing & aural training
The Helderberg College Choir offers to its members:
- An experience in choral singing as a natural and enjoyable form of art, which, at the same time, helps developing the total human being.
- Development of music literacy (free instruction in music theory).
- A platform where a diverse body of students can bind socially and interculturally.
- An opportunity to use music as a tool for Evangelism, preparing the Kingdom of God.
- Experience in the field of conducting, accompaniment and recordings.
- Various performances in public, on tours or at churches.
The Somerset Singers is a community choir under the management of the music department. This choir has, for many years, performed for carols by candlelight at Vergelegen Estate and is often involved with fund raising concerts for Helderberg Hospice.
The Somerset Strings, an ad hoc string ensemble consisting of friends of the college, also performs occasionally at fund raising events. This will hopefully assist to finally form a College Orchestra to pull together all the skills that will be learnt so that students may know the rewards of their learning effort in the pleasure of performance.
The music department has, over the years, recorded a number of albums, see the details below.
How to order a CD:
Make a direct deposit into:
ABSA Acc: 406 039 4706
Code: 632 656
Reference: Music Cd’s
NOTIFY US OF YOUR PAYMENT
Fax 021 850 7545 OR
CONTACT: J Kritzinger, Head of Music Department, email@example.com